I don't have any pictures of my finished first quilt. It was truly a labor of love. I didn't know anything about quilting, or fabric, or batting, or squares, or geometry, or well, you get the idea. Here are all of the photos that I have, please forgive the awful quality. They are photos of photos... taken when digital was crazy expensive.
I jumped into this project with my typical "how hard can it be?" attitude. I consulted my mom, who quilted in the 70's and she advised me to cut a cardboard template for my squares, to trace it on the fabric, to cut the shapes out and then to sew them together. The cardboard template was the first piece in this poor quilt's rocky foundation. The squares weren't really square... but I pushed on. I didn't want to do binding, so I insisted on sewing the quilt together like an inside out sandwich. It ended up working out all right, but did contribute to the overall rhomboid shape, as I couldn't square my edges. When I actually quilted the thing, it ended up being a lumpy mess. It should have been 6X6, but ended up being 5.75X5.33 or something like that. The photo of my mom sitting by the quilt is probably the last time the poor thing was flat. I don't have this quilt anymore, and while I thought it would break my heart not to have it, it doesn't.
This is the most recent quilt I have completed. I started this as a 35th B-day gift for the man who is now my husband. I wanted to make him a blanket for the floor of his apartment, because he always sat there when he was watching TV.
Detail of the dragonfly blocks in the center of the quilt. Their simplicity made cutting and piecing them a breeze.
I wanted to share this quilt as well. It is my first show quilt, and, I feel, the best quilt I have made to date. I titled the quilt "Dreams". The entire quilt was stitched on a Janome Jem Gold, which I'm pretty proud of. This tiny, but capable, machine was a dream to work with, although it's size made quilting tough. Dreams ended up being 4.5X4.5. Close up of the quilted portion of the quilt. I did this all free hand on my machine. It took FOREVER! All of the orange and blue rows are quilted this way, as well as the adjacent blue and blue row.
Tune in Friday for the big announcement! Abi